“I think you smoke [cigarettes] so you have something to do while thinking up your next witty line”.
He choked on the smoke, caught between inhaling and laughing. p 142
Frostbite is the second book in the Vampire Academy series by Richelle Mead.
This review does not contain spoilers for Frostbite but may spoil events from Vampire Academy (the first book of the series). If you haven’t read that book check out a non-spoilery review for it here.
So Frostbite follows immediately after Vampire Academy… Lissa and Christian are a couple, Rose and Dimitri are trying to ignore their attraction to each other and well Mia is still annoying. But there are rapid developments in this book that shape the rest of the series.
Things I liked:
- The tension between Rose and Dimitri was just as good as Vampire Academy…
- I actually really liked that the plot didn’t just keep following their school life and was set somewhere else this time – even though the reason they go away is due to a tradegy :(. I feel like in some other series the plot resolves around the same place 24/7 and it annoys me.
- The banter between a number of characters is great – as always Mead delivers on the witty banter.
- Mia! I actually came to like Mia in this book which was a huge surprise considering how she behaved in Vampire Academy…
“So is English.”
“If you’d teach me to swear in Russian, I might have a new appreciation for it.”
“You swear too much already.”
“I just want to express myself.”‘ p75
Things I disliked:
- Someone is killed in this book. Even years after reading this series for the first time I’m still upset about this particular death.
- The weird love triangle (square?) that happened in this book was downright confusing… and while it was important to the plot as far as introducing a certain character it did annoy me.
- I still found Lissa fairly annoying in this book but as I said in my other review I did come to like her later in the series so all is forgiven.
“We can’t stop living because others are dead. And we have to make sure more people don’t die.”p 39
So if you’ve read Vampire Academy (book one) and aren’t sure about Frostbite (book two) I would highly recommend pushing through it… some crazy stuff goes down in Shadow Kiss (book three) you will not want to miss!
Thanks for reading my review!
*The stickers featured are not VA specific… the left one says “Between the pages of a book is a lovely place to be” and the right one says “Read more books”. Both were purchased off Redbubble (Artists: eviebookish & bookscupcakes).